ALL LEVELS / EMOM strength workout / 20 minutes
Equipment: Dumbbells, barbell & kettlebell
Shifting from summer to autumn is not always easy. Your routines change, you ditch the relaxed attitude adopted during the summer months and, sadly, the cold weather settles in. September can act as a temporal landmark and act like an opportunity for a reset — to start fresh and in full force.
To help you make the transition smoother and give you an extra bit of power to start this month, we decided to bring you an EMOM workout. In case you don’t know, EMOM stands for Every Minute On the Minute, a type of HIIT (High-Intensity Interval Training) that, as its name indicates, requires you to complete a predefined number of reps of different exercises within 60 seconds. Then, if you have any time left, you can use it to rest before moving on to the next group of exercises or reps.
This session specifically is an EMOM strength workout. It has only 4 exercises, each with a different number of reps, and each to perform within 1 minute. You’ll do 5 rounds with no rest in between. All combined, this workout should take you around 20 minutes to complete.
- Dumbbell sumo squat 20x
- Push-up and row 15x
- Barbell shoulder press 15x
- Kettlebell swing 25x
Time to make these minutes count!
- 4 exercises
- 5 rounds
- 20 minutes
- Equipment: Dumbbells, barbell & kettlebell
WORKING OUT FROM HOME? NO PROBLEM.
If you don’t have the equipment originally needed for this workout, you can substitute it with these everyday items or use these alternative exercises.
- Dumbbells = water bottles filled with water and / or sand
- Barbell = a broom handle with a gym bag with weights on it
- Kettlebell = bag with some weights, such as books, cans of food
WORKOUT EXERCISE LIST
1 – DUMBBELL SUMO SQUAT
- Grab a dumbbell and hold it with both hands. You should stretch your arms, and the dumbbell should be in front of your waist.
- Feet apart (about twice your shoulder width) with your toes pointing out slightly.
- Lower your body as far as you can, hips back and knees bent.
- Pause before pushing yourself to the starting position.
- Maintain your core tight and your torso upright.
2 – PUSH-UP AND ROW
- Grab two dumbbells and set your body up in a high plank position.
- Your hands and feet should be more than shoulder-width apart.
- Now lower your body until your chest is parallel to your hands.
- Push up with power and start rowing one dumbbell up to your chest, and then the other.
- Slowly return to the starting position.
3 – BARBELL SHOULDER PRESS
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, holding a barbell with a pronated (overhand) grip at upper-chest height.
- Exhale as you push the barbell straight upward.
- At the top of the movement, shrug your shoulders to raise the barbell even higher.
- Inhale as you reverse the motions and lower the barbell to the starting position in a controlled manner.
- Do not lock your elbows out, and use a grip that is a little wider than shoulder width.
- To move your head out of the way of the bar, rock your body slightly forward as the bar ascends and slightly backward as the bar descends.
- Your head should be facing forward, not looking up.
- Keep your elbows a little forward, not directly out to the sides.
- Keep your wrists directly above your elbows.
4 – KETTLEBELL SWING
- Hold the kettlebell with both hands.
- Hinge the hips to initiate the swing movement.
- Rapidly drive hip extension to swing the kettlebell upwards.
- Control your swing descent with a hip hinge by swinging the kettlebell between your legs.
An EMOM strength workout to start the month on a strong note. Find more challenges like this one below:
- 20-min functional full-body workout
- 30-min full-body workout
- 35-min full-body strength workout
- 11-minute AMRAP cardio workout
- 15-min lower body strength workout
- 30-min EMOM full-body workout
- 30-min full-body Tabata workout
- 30-min cardio Pilates workout
- 20-min barbell strength workout
- 25-min functional full-body workout
- 30-min full-body strength workout
- 15-min full-body workout for time
- 45-min strength and core workout
- 30-min functional strength workout
- 15-min full-body EMOM workout