ALL LEVELS / functional upper body workout / 10 minutes
Equipment: Barbell, dumbbells & gym bench
Lower body or upper body day — which one do you prefer? If you follow EVO, you know our opinion on these by now. If you don’t, we might as well clarify that we lean to a whole-body approach; after all, we’re functional fitness and natural movement advocates. However, we can’t say there’s a universally approved exercise method: we simply prefer this method.
Plus, our personal trainer Hannah Braun brought us a lower body workout last week, so we think it’s only fair we bring a functional upper body workout today. This short session can serve as a quick strength workout or be part of a broader training session. It has only 3 exercises that you should perform for 45 seconds with no rest between them. You’ll get a 25 seconds break between each of the 4 rounds. In total, this session will take you around 10 minutes to complete.
- Dumbbell chest press
- Barbell deadlift to row
Let’s build some muscle!
- 3 exercises
- 45 seconds each
- 4 rounds
- No rest between exercises
- 25 seconds rest between rounds
- 10 minutes total
- Equipment: Barbell, dumbbells & gym bench
WORKING OUT FROM HOME? NO PROBLEM.
- Barbell = a broom handle with a gym bag with weights on it
- Dumbbells = water bottles filled with water and / or sand
- Gym bench = stable chair
WORKOUT EXERCISE LIST
1 – DUMBBELL CHEST PRESS
- Grab two suitably heavy dumbbells, curl them to your chest, and lie back on the bench
- Engage your core, set the shoulders, and turn the dumbbells so that the fingers are facing forwards. Position the dumbbells so that the elbows are bent to 90 degrees and in line with the shoulders. The dumbbells should sit close to the armpits (a maximum stretch for the chest). This is the starting position for the dumbbell chest press.
- Keeping the core engaged and low back in neutral, press the dumbbells straight up and in towards each other, squeezing the chest muscles as you press. Pause at the top before returning to the start position.
- Repeat for reps or time.
2 – BARBELL DEADLIFT TO ROW
- Grab a suitably loaded barbell with a shoulder-width grip. Engage the core and set the shoulders. Lift the bar to assume a standing position – this is your starting position.
- Keeping the core engaged and the shoulders set, hinge at the hips until the bar is just below the knees. Row the bar towards your belly button and lower again. Immediately deadlift the bar to a standing position – this combination movement completes one repetition.
- Return under control and repeat the barbell deadlift row for reps or time.
3 – DIPS
- Sit on the edge of the gym bench. Grasp the edge of it, pointing your fingers to your feet. Make sure your legs are extended, with your heels touching the floors.
- With your palms, press to lift your body and slide forward, clearing the edge of the bench.
- Now lower yourself until your elbows are bent.
- Slowly push yourself back up to the starting position.
A functional upper body workout that you can do in just 10 minutes. Find more sessions like this here:
- 20-min lower body dumbbell workout
- 20-min strength cable workout
- 18-min EMOM workout for strength
- 15-min full-body Tabata workout
- 10-min bodyweight cardio workout
- 20-min shoulders and core workout
- 40-min functional full-body workout
- 20-min functional partner workout
- 20-min cardio and core workout
- 40-min functional strength workout
- 10-min bodyweight AMRAP workout
- 15-min functional strength workout
- 17-min full-body workout
- 20-min TRX AMRAP workout
- 18-min full-body EMOM workout