Jump training, also known as plyometric training, is an effective way to build explosive power, stability and coordination. Not only does this type of training improve sports performance (e.g. running, basketball, tennis, free running, skiing, to name a few), it is also beneficial for general fitness – building stronger legs, adding intensity to workouts, and burning more calories.
Because jumping is a skill, it’s important to learn the basic technique of jumping and landing, before adding intensity and volume. If you are new to this type of training, speak to an EVO Personal trainer before trying the following workout. This circuit-style workout consists of 8 exercises performed back to back – but don’t be fooled by its simplicity! Although each exercise involves a jumping movement, you will feel the whole body engaging.
EQUIPMENT AND SET UP
- Interval timer or stopwatch (set the work:rest intervals as outlined below)
- Plyo box
- Pull up bar – if you cannot perform a pull up, use a step for assistance
Perform each of the following exercises in order, choosing one of the following levels that suits your ability and current fitness:
EASY – 1 round, moderate pace, 20s work:20s rest
MODERATE – 2 rounds, moderate pace, 20s work:20s rest
HARD – 3 rounds, fast pace, 20s work:10s rest
- JUMPING LUNGE – keep the arms overhead and aim for quick jumps. Don’t drop too deep
- JUMPING JACKS – take the arms as high as possible and find the rhythm
- BURPEE – drop quickly to the floor and explode out off the push up into a jump
- BOX JUMP – throw the arms up as you jump onto the box, landing with two feet. Step back down and repeat
- JUMP PULL UP – jump up to the bar and quickly perform a pull up
- LATERAL JUMPS – keeping feet together, jump quickly from left to right. Use the arms for balance
- INVERTED JUMPS – from a push up position, jump the legs side to side aiming to lift the hips over the shoulders
- BUTT KICKER – run on the spot bringing each heel to the butt
- This workout requires just a small amount of space, so is ideal when your favourite machines are in use
- Feel free to change the order or even substitute with some of your favourite jump-based exercises
Don’t forget to share your workout performance with us via Facebook and Instagram!