We’re going to kick off your new year with an EVO-style lo-tech, hi-effect bodyweight workout, designed to challenge strength, power, endurance, flexibility, coordination and balance. It’s a circuit-style workout consisting of 8 exercises performed back to back – but don’t be fooled by its simplicity! On completion, you will feel have worked your entire body in a very short space of time.
You will need a timer or stopwatch. If you’re using an interval timer, set the intervals to 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off – this interval set is known as the Tabata protocol, and is a popular choice for short duration, high intensity training. This means you will be performing each exercise as fast as possible for 20 seconds, then taking 10 seconds rest before moving on to the next exercise. Repeat until all 8 exercises are complete – a total of 4 minutes. Take 60 seconds rest, and repeat the circuit.
Perform each of the following exercises as fast as possible (with control) for 20 seconds, taking 10 seconds rest between each exercise. Choose one of the following levels that suits your ability and current fitness:
- EASY – x2 circuits
- MODERATE – x4 circuits
- HARD – x6 circuits
- SQUAT – drop as low as possible keeping the arms out in front of the body
- MOUNTAIN CLIMBER – keep the shoulders over the hands and bring each knee to the elbow
- BUTT KICKER – run on the spot bringing each heel to the butt
- BURPEE – drop quickly to the floor and explode out off the push up into a jump
- JUMPING JACKS – take the arms as high as possible and find the rhythm
- PUSH UP – keep the shoulders over the hands and drop as low as possible
- JUMPING LUNGE – keep the arms overhead and aim for quick jumps
- REVERSE PLANK – keep shoulders over hands and push the hips up
- This workout requires just a small amount of space, so is ideal when your favorite machines are in use
- If you’re unable to get to EVO, perform this workout at home
- Partner up with a friend, or even in a small group, and motivate each other
- This workout alternates between upper and lower body exercises – feel free to change the order or even substitute with some of your favorite bodyweight exercises
Finally, don’t forget to share your workout performance via Facebook and Instagram!