ALL LEVELS / strength and endurance / for time / 10-15min
Equipment: high bar, superfunctional bar/ TRX, mat
May’s workout is a simple benchmark workout for time that will test your strength, endurance and staying power.
When we talk about benchmark workouts, we are talking about any that can be performed periodically to evaluate your current level of skill. Such workouts will usually go back to fundamental movements such as squatting, pushing, pulling. They will also often involve higher volume – reps vs load. The goal is to test your fitness and technique over time.
This workout is made up of 3 foundation exercises performed back to back for time – don’t forget to start/stop your stopwatch.
You should perform the exercises in the following order:
- Pull-up 25 reps
- Push-up 50 reps
- Squat (bodyweight) 100 reps
Complete all reps in the fastest time.
|EASY||TRX row or super-functional bar pull-up|
Squat al bar pull-up Box push-up Squat
|MODERATE||Band assisted pull-up|
As your endurance improves, you will be able to improve your performance each time you perform the workout.
PULL-UP: 25 reps
- Use an overhand grip and pull chin to bar.
- Pace yourself – consider 5 sets of 5 reps.
- Beginners may use a super-functional bar (feet on the floor).
- Moderately skilled individuals may perform band assisted pull-ups.
PUSH-UP: 50 reps
- Pace yourself – consider 5 sets of 10 reps.
- Beginners may perform box push-ups (on knees).
- Hips must drop below knees.
- Pace yourself – consider 5 sets of 20.